April 22, 2010

Questioning Our Thoughts

Another important step in learning to think more responsibly is to develop our ability to ask questions about our own thinking and the thinking of others. "The ability to ask appropriate and penetrating questions is one of the most powerful thinking tools we possess, although many of us do not make full use of it." (Covey, Stephen R., “THE 7 HABITS OF HIGHLY EFFECTIVE PEOPLE - POWERFUL LESSONS IN PERSONAL CHANGE” (New York: Simon & Schuster, 1989))

Through consistent practice and mental exercise, we should learn to habitually ask ourselves questions, such as:


• Are my thoughts consistent with my purpose?


• Are they realistic?


• Are they productive?


• What are the possible consequences of this type of thinking?


• What is the basis for my thoughts - what provoked my current thinking?


• Am I actively controlling my own thoughts? Or, am I still allowing other variables, such as my feelings, my subconscious programming, the circumstances, or other people’s words and behavior, to control them?


• Are there any similarities or relationships between my current thinking and my thought patterns in the past?


• Can I speculate on the possible consequences of this type of thinking?


• How should I be directing my thinking - what should I be thinking about or focusing on right now in order to be successful?

In order to become effective in improving our thought processes, this type of mental questioning should be consistently exercised and valued as a discipline. It should be used repeatedly so that it becomes a habitual part of our thought patterns. At every opportunity we should question ourselves about our thinking with an open mind and an honest heart, so that we can make sure that our thoughts are always focused in the right direction.


 
http://www.choosetodoright.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment