February 21, 2010

A proven path to Criminal Rehabilitation - Success through responsible living

Is someone you love in Prison...or headed there?

Are they making poor choices and decisions?

Are they unhappy with the way their life is turning out?

My name is Andrew Matson. In 1991 I was convicted of burglary and theft and sentenced to 30 years in prison as a Habitual Criminal. For most people this would be the end of the story, but for me it was just the beginning.

While sitting alone in a prison cell I realized that unless I did something to turn my life around that nothing was ever going to change. I decided then that I wanted much more out of life than “3 hot’s and a cot” in a prison cell so I set out on a journey of discovery and change.

Some may say that people can’t change, but I know firsthand that they can. Miracles can happen with the right focus and the right tools. Throughout a journey that has spanned over two decades I have discovered the keys necessary to turn my life around and become a successful contributing member of society.

Over the years I kept a record of my journey and wrote down everything that I discovered about myself and the men that I spent time with in prison. This journal became the foundation of my book “Choose to do Right – A proven path to criminal rehabilitation”. My book outlines over 40 different errors in thinking and perception that lead to irresponsible behavior and crime. This life changing book also provides strategies and suggestions for overcoming these errors in thinking and perception, leading to a more responsible and productive life. My goal is to help people change the basic paradigms through which they see the world and enable them see themselves and the world around them from a more responsible perspective. I am living proof that the principles and concepts surrounding this paradigm shift can work.

During my incarceration I was blessed with the opportunity to participate in some programs (“Project Tomorrow” and “Shape-Up”) in which I was able to work with at risk youth and experience the inner joy and satisfaction that can come from helping others. This experience helped me to define my purpose and to discover my calling in life. My dream is to help others avoid making the same mistakes that I made, and to help give them the tools necessary to turn their lives around and be happy and successful. By helping others make responsible decisions, I feel that not only can I add meaning and purpose to my life, but also help to keep myself properly focused on living responsibly.

In my 15 years in prison I never meet anyone who wanted to spend their life in prison. Every prisoner had the desire to get out and stay out. However, as recidivism rates sadly show, most of them do return to prison. This isn’t due to a lack of desire. Nobody wants to be in prison. It is simply due to the fact that these people don’t have the knowledge and tools necessary to be successful once they get out. They are not prepared to live responsibly.

Since my release in 2003, I have graduated form the University of Colorado with a degree in Psychology, worked my way up the corporate ladder to become Vice President of a multi-national company, served in a variety of volunteer positions in my church and in the community, and been a productive member of society. I currently live with my wife and 4 children in Parker Colorado and continue to be successful as I apply the principles of responsible living in my own life.

There is hope – people can turn their lives around and become successful!! And with over 7.3 million people currently in the prison system in the US according to the Denver Post (Denver Post, Tuesday March 3, 2009, pg. 6A) there are many people who could benefit from my book. Almost 19 years ago I was convicted as a Habitual criminal. If I can turn my life around, anyone can do it. Using the strategies and tools that are outlined in my book anyone can turn their lives around and become a successful, productive member of society. For anyone who has ever had a problem with making the wrong choices and decisions in any aspect of their lives, this book is a must read!!

For more information about me or my book please visit my website http://www.choosetodoright.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment